CES 2014: Panasonic Launches Toughpad 4K
Panasonic announced the U.S. availability of the Toughpad 4K UT-MA6 tablet, the performance model of the world’s first 20-inch tablet with a 4K resolution display at the 2014 International CES.
Featuring an Intel Core i7-3687U vPro processor with an NVIDIA Quadro K1000M GPU, and an advanced beyond Ultra HD 4K display providing a lifelike viewing experience unlike any tablet on the market, the Toughpad 4K performance model is built to serve as an ideal mobile workstation for professionals in visual-intensive fields such as computer-aided design (CAD) and video editing.
The Toughpad 4K performance model further expands Panasonic’s Toughpad line to create the world’s most comprehensive portfolio of enterprise-focused tablets. It expands the capabilities of the groundbreaking Toughpad 4K UT-MB5 tablet announced in 2013, a business-rugged tablet with a brilliant 230 pixel-per-inch display that goes beyond Ultra HD resolution. Optimized for the Windows 8.1 Pro operating system and built on the Intel vPro platform, the Toughpad 4K tablet bridges the gap between the needs of IT professionals and workers by including unique hardware and OS-based enhanced security features, remote manageability and capabilities designed to increase end user productivity and data protection.
“Professionals in visual-intensive fields such as CAD and non-linear editing have traditionally been stuck working behind a desk away from where decisions are being made, due to a lack of mobile technology on the market with the large, high-quality displays and high-performance processors these users require,” said Kyp Walls, director of product management, Panasonic System Communications Company of North America. “As a lightweight 20-inch tablet PC with beyond Ultra HD resolution and high-performance processing power, the Toughpad 4K performance model enables these workers to get things done in the field that previously were only practical at a desktop workstation, greatly expanding productivity, creativity and efficiency in a number of areas.”
Toughpad 4K UT-MA6: Key Features
- High-Power CPU: Intel Core i7-3687U vPro processor (4MB cache, up to 3.3 GHz) with Intel Turbo Boost Technology
- Advanced Graphics Performance: NVIDIA Quadro K1000M GPU (2GB VRAM)
- 4K Visual Experience: 20-inch IPS Alpha LCD screen with 3840×2560 pixel display featuring 230 pixels per inch and 15:10 aspect ratio
- Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro and Windows 7 Professional downgrade
- Storage & Memory: 256GB SSD,16 GB RAM, 2GB VRAM
- Connectivity & I/O: Mini DisplayPort, Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, Bluetooth v4.0 (Class 1), USB 3.0, SDXC card slot, smart card reader, docking connector, Gigabit Ethernet LAN port
- Camera: 5 MP rear camera; 1280 x 720 pixel front camera
- Durability: Business-rugged with resistance to 12-inch drops to 26 angles (non-operating) and 30-inch drop to its back (operating)
- Battery: 2.5 hours per MobileMark 2007 testing (60 cd/m2)
- Lightweight Portability: 5.6 lbs., 0.49 inch thick
Like the standard model, the Toughpad 4K performance model offers an optional Panasonic Electronic Touch Pen, a unique new device offering pixel-level precision and a distinctly pen-and-paper-like feel for freehand sketching, annotation or handwriting. The pen uses infrared signals to distinctly read each pixel on the screen and communicates with the tablet via Bluetooth®. For natural and highly accurate drawing or handwriting, the pen can be held from various angles and can interpret more than 2,000 levels of pressure. The Toughpad 4K also offers 10-point multi-touch input.
Combined with accessories such as the optional Panasonic desktop cradle and carrying case solution, the device can be used as both a desktop PC and tablet. The cradle easily converts into a tilted stand to allow the tablet to be used in drafting table mode, and offers USB 3.0 x3, Ethernet and HDMI-output connectivity. A VESA-compatible mounting adapter plate is also available.
Pricing and Availability
The Toughpad 4K performance model, powered by a third-generation Intel Core i7 vPro processor and NVIDIA Quadro GPU, will be available in Spring 2014 at a list price of $6,999. The previously announced Toughpad 4K standard edition, featuring an Intel Core i5-3437U vPro processor with an NVIDIA GeForce 745M GPU, will be available in February 2014 at a list price of $5,999.
All Toughpad tablets can be purchased through authorized Panasonic resellers. All products in the Toughpad family come standard with the industry’s most comprehensive 3-year warranty.