NBA Launches on Two New Social Media Platforms
The NBA has become the first professional sports league to launch on two new social media platforms: “Yo” and “Milq”, providing the league with more ways to connect to its fans and build on one of the largest social media communities in the world with more than 730 million combined likes and followers across social platforms.
Yo, a mobile messaging app, sends specialized push notifications (alerts) to followers with embedded links, photos and videos. The NBA has launched a Yo channel with seven specialized alert profiles that allow fans to select the real-time updates and unique content they want delivered to their smartphone:
- NBA – Breaking news & must-see content
- NBASTATS – Milestone & noteworthy stat performances
- NBAREPLAY – Daily highlight video of previous night’s games
- BUZZERBEATERS – Video of buzzer-beaters
- NBADUNKS – Top dunk highlight videos
- NBARANKS – Power rankings, Race to the MVP, Rookie Ladder
- NBAEVENTS – Localized NBA events or player appearances
Milq is a user-generated curation app and website that aggregates and sorts content by harnessing the collective knowledge of its users.
The NBA is using Milq as a standalone social platform of video playlists, or “beads”. The NBA is developing beads that will allow fans to submit content from YouTube and curate it around subjects such as “The Best Plays of All Time,” “Best Rookie Plays of the 2014-15 Season,” and “Best Dunks of the 2014-15 Season.”