Case Study: Videohouse Relies on Spectra Logic Tape Libraries for Content Storage
Videohouse, a nationally and internationally operating service provider for television and multimedia projects, has been using Spectra Logic tape technology exclusively for their video production archive since 2007. The company started with a Spectra T50e and over the years has grown to use multiple libraries in their network configuration.
Videohouse (a subsidiary of Euro Media Group) is an operating service provider of television and multimedia projects based in Brussels, Belgium. It offers creative and technical broadcasting services to the European broadcasting and film facilities market. Videohouse specializes in producing commercial television programs, varying from sporting events and concerts to producing reality shows and documentaries. The company offers clients a range of services including: outside broadcast vehicles, TV/film stages, electronic and satellite news gathering packages, wireless transmissions, video and audio postproduction, play-out services, webcasting, equipment rentals, and systems integration.
This year, the company upgraded most of their machines with LTO-6 or LTO-7 tape drives and media. For nearly a decade Videohouse has been relying exclusively on Spectra Logic data storage solutions to archive their video production content.
“We are continuously offloading large video files to tape on our Spectra Logic libraries. Our Spectra T950 is at full capacity and we have over 200 full tapes sitting on the shelves, ready for data retrieval at any time. Managing four different Spectra Logic tape libraries at two different locations allows us to backup sports production footage, linear television broadcasts and source files seamlessly.” Joris Moens, Project Manager, Videohouse.
Videohouse’s Product Growth –
- 2007 – Began using T50e with LTO-4 drives and Spectra certified media, standard encryption and 47 chambers.
- 2008 – Acquired their first T120 with LTO-4 drives and Spectra certified media, standard encryption and 75 chambers.
- 2009 – SBS Belgium NV, a customer of Videohouse, gave the company authority to manage their Spectra T120 with LTO- 5 drives and Spectra certified media with 120 chambers.
- 2010 – Videohouse expanded to Spectra’s enterprise T950 single-frame library with LTO-5 drives and Spectra certified media and 100 chambers.
- 2011 – SBS Belgium granted Videohouse authority over their Spectra T380 tape library with LTO-5 drives and media with over 300 chambers.
- 2013 – T950 expansion frame added to Videohouse’s enterprise library; additional 100 chambers added.
- 2015 – A new T50e library with LTO-6 drives and media was purchased to replace the original T50e.
- 2016 – T120 was upgraded to LTO-6 drives and media; T950 was upgraded to LTO-7 drives and media.
Videohouse uses MediaHaven 15.3 backup software and HP DL360 G9 servers running on Debian Linux.