NAB 2018: Grass Valley Announces New Solutions During Press Conference
During Grass Valley’s NAB 2018 press conference today, executives highlighted new and improved broadcast solutions for live production, news, content delivery and networking. With the recent acquisition of SAM, Grass Valley now offers the largest portfolio of products along with the most extensive R&D and service organizations in the industry.
Grass Valley Debuts Ultimate News Production Platform At NAB 2018
Though news production continually grows more complex and fast-paced, Grass Valley, a Belden Brand, is adding features to its news production platform to help simplify customers’ workflows. News operations are dealing with an exploding volume of user generated content (UGC) and a viewer expectation of instant availability on any platform, whether broadcast, mobile or social. The newly combined portfolio of Grass Valley and SAM solutions gives news professionals access to the industry’s widest selection of tools and technologies for conquering the news marketplace.
GV STRATUS 6.0 remains the most complete and versatile application environment for nonlinear production with the addition of enhanced news orchestration capabilities, including integrated social media publishing, monitoring and tracking. In addition, increasing availability of cloud-based tools and virtualization are having a significant impact on the newsroom, and Grass Valley is embracing this trend across the portfolio.
News solutions to be featured at NAB 2018 include:
- GV STRATUS 6.0 – A suite of tools including a new web client for access to GV STRATUS from anywhere on any device and support of the GV I/O SDI ingest server which features a COTS-based engine built on standard IT hardware. Additionally, GV STRATUS has new powerful social media management capabilities that allow users to post, track and delete any asset. To adapt to more UCG, the XRE Transcoder is now built into every GV Render Engine so broadcasters can enable rich transcoding without buying more hardware.
- Ignite 11 – The latest version of this news production automation tool further reduces complexity with event builder, increases flexibility with third-party switcher support, features reduced commissioning time and controls the latest T2 UHD for playback and recording in 4K UHD and 1080p.
- Momentum – A workflow and media asset management solution, offering seamless management of video, IT and Cloud storage through a powerful and versatile workflow engine. Momentum is user-configurable via a dedicated drag-and-drop editor and includes an extensible database with powerful search functions.
- Go! – A browser-based editor that can be used anywhere with an internet connection on laptops, phones and tablets. Go! utilizes an HTML 5-based shot selector/editor and facilitates story creation with simple effects and voice-over functionalities.
- Rio – Offers Hollywood-style post production and finishing through industry-leading color correction and fixing tools. Rio support all standards and color spaces up to 8K 60p.
- EDIUS – Now features direct editing on the Amazon AWS platform with EDIUS Cloud and HDR native editing in HLG, PQ, S-Log and other formats. EDIUS 9 enables users to mix SDR and HDR material on the same project, and output in either, while the floating license package gives users the option to expand functionality as needed.
Grass Valley Unveils iTX Flex At NAB 2018
In the age of the on-demand consumer, content delivery solutions must be designed to seamlessly connect and monetize, allowing broadcasters to deliver programs quickly and to the right platform so that viewers can watch what they want, when and where they want. At NAB 2018, Grass Valley, a Belden Brand, will highlight cloud and virtualized playout solutions for all broadcasters’ needs, featuring the brand new iTX Flex, the industry’s first true-cloud automated playout platform.
Now that Grass Valley and SAM content delivery solutions are combined, customers have access to an industry-leading selection of products that will fit the needs of any operation, regardless of size, budget or business need. All the platforms customers have come to rely upon are now available from one supplier, making it easier for customers to choose the right blend of solutions for their business.
Headlined by the innovative new iTX Flex, the full range of content delivery solutions from the expanded portfolio will be on display at NAB 2018:
- All-new iTX Flex cloud-based playout platform – This new solution offers true-cloud playout orchestration using microservices, provided as SaaS. iTX Flex utilizes a full-featured and robust software playout engine with control and monitoring via an HTML5 browser-based UI. It enables rapid deployment allowing users to spin up channels in minutes, and is available in the cloud, on-premise or in a hybrid configuration. The solution is cost-effective and highly scalable and features the most CPU-efficient playout engine in the industry.
- iTX Integrated Playout Platform – Providing true software-based playout in SD, HD or UHD with extensive HDR support. The playout engines support IP (SMPTE 2110, 2022-6 & 2022-2) and SDI or a hybrid of both.
- iTX On-Demand – Specifically addresses the preparation of video on demand (VOD) and catch-up TV assets in a way that dramatically reduces operational costs and the time it takes to get content onto VOD platforms, for both pre-recorded and live content. iTX On-Demand embeds VOD asset creation into the production from the start, using powerful recipes that take the pain out of complex workflows, making them easy to execute.
- Morpheus multi-channel, multi-screen playout automation – Supports control of hundreds of hardware devices, including over-the-top (OTT) devices whether the workflow is on-premise, virtualized or being housed at multiple facilities. Morpheus can control ICE for a fully integrated playout solution.
- ICE integrated channel playout – Powered by Morpheus for advanced flexibility, ICE offers multiple channel outputs from a single playlist and supports 2D or 3D graphics templates with dynamic, real-time data.
“Today, virtualization and cloud accessibility are a rapidly growing part of the playout equation. iTX Flex is designed to address this trend and give broadcasters solutions that fit into their workflow while providing them with the flexibility and agility to meet their needs,” says Raed Al Tikriti, vice president of content delivery, Grass Valley. “It’s easier than ever to lose audience eyes if content isn’t getting in front of the right people in the right place at the right time. We offer a wide range of options that make that delivery possible.”
Grass Valley Showcases Wide Range Of Live Production Solutions At NAB 2018
Grass Valley’s live production portfolio is powerful and flexible, easily adapting to any environment and workflow including HD, 4K UHD and HDR, as well as both SDI and IP signal flows. At NAB 2018, Grass Valley will demonstrate multiple live production solutions including the accessible and affordable DirectIP+ remote production solution. DirectIP+ enables broadcasters to manage At-Home productions from any distance and reduces bandwidth requirements between cameras and XCU cradles so broadcasters can link any camera to any XCU without ever touching a cable.
Complementing DirectIP+, booth visitors will see the LDX 86N Series fully native HD/3G/4K/ High-Speed Camera Platform with optional HDR and the Focus 75 Live 720/1080i Switchable HD System Camera. In addition, the highly flexible multi-cam replay platform, LiveTouch, will be on display. LiveTouch allows users to enjoy instant collaboration, integrated editing and advanced replay tools in HD, 4K UHD, and HDR. LiveTouch scales to meet the needs of any size live production, giving users instant access to any camera with inter-server streaming.
Grass Valley also boasts the widest array of production switchers on the market. Those shown at NAB 2018 will include:
- GV K-Frame X – The industry’s largest IP I/O footprint production switcher with up to 192×96 IP, SDI or mixed connectivity connections and up to 9M/Es that can be split across multiple suites. GV K-Frame X is flexible, supporting SD, HD, 1080p, 4K UHD (compressed and uncompressed) and HDR, and working with any of the Kayenne, Karrera and GV Korona panel families. GV K-Frame X is SMPTE ST 2110 compliant using 10GbE and 25GbE ports.
- Kahuna – The Swiss Army knife for production switcher format conversion, offering outstanding format versatility via FormatFusion4. Kahuna works quickly, simultaneously inputting, mixing, and outputting any format, including UHD, WCG and HDR HLG, PQ, or S-Log, in addition to SD, HD, 1080p and 4K UHD (compressed and uncompressed).
- K-Frame S-series – The perfect fit for stadium productions and broadcast with an I/O footprint up to 80×48, up to 6 M/Es and, like all K-Frames, the integrated graphics control of Ross and Chyron graphics engines. K-Frame S-series works with any of the Kayenne, Karrera and GV Korona panel families and supports SD, HD, 1080p, 4K UHD (compressed and uncompressed) and HDR.
- K-Frame V-series – A compact switcher that works with any of the Kayenne, Karrera and GV Korona panel families. V-series now offers an IP I/O option that works for broadcasters looking to go all-IP or those migrating from SDI to IP at their own pace and an EZ 4K mode to simplify configuration of 2SI 4K productions. The powerful switcher supports up to 3M/Es plus 2 VPEs and saves on space with 12G-SDI connectivity that reduces UHD cabling requirements by 75 percent.
- Kula compact switching – A cost-effective, SMPTE ST 2110-compliant production switcher for small spaces and budgets. The solution utilizes FormatFusion3 to support SD, HD, 1080p, 4K UHD, and is fully integrated with a multiviewer, ClipStore, Kula control surfaces, GFX Editor and K-Touch for seamless live content creation.
Grass Valley Extends Networking Solutions Portfolio To Power Broadcast Operations
Advanced broadcast technology and networking standards are constantly evolving and every content producer is in a different stage of adopting and upgrading its own specific workflows to take advantage of these advances. Grass Valley, a Belden Brand, consistently delivers networking solutions with the flexibility and scalability to meet a wide range of unique user needs. This includes the ability to incorporate HDR, 4K UHD and IP when and as their business models demand.
As the foundation that supports the entire broadcast production workflow, the network is one of the most important investments a company will make. With the integration of networking solutions from both Grass Valley and SAM in one portfolio, customers now have access to the largest selection—as well as unsurpassed innovation and support—to expand and upgrade their infrastructure. At NAB 2018, Grass Valley will showcase a variety of integrated networking solutions that support SMPTE ST 2110 with common profiles, including:
- GV Convergent 1.5 – The newest version of GV Convergent helps users transparently manage SDI and IP routing on one familiar interface with simple visualization of COTS IP network bandwidth and parallel support of SDN and IGMP, as well as audio breakaway and shuffling, and conversion between AES profiles.
- Sirius 840 Enterprise Routing with MV 850 – An integrated multiviewer with unmatched flexibility—operating in SDI, AES, MADI, 4K UHD, IP and 12G, requiring no functional compromise on I/O, signal processing or redundant crosspoint protection. Sirius 840 also features built-in audio and video processing.
- Kaleido IP Multiviewer – Boasts the highest number of simultaneous program decodes in the industry with an unlimited number of audio decodes (stereo and 5.1) per program. The solution supports SMPTE ST 2110 and 2022-6, DVB MPEG TS and OTT monitoring of streaming formats, as well as advanced signal quality probing and alarming. Kaleido IP can be used with other Kaleido multiviewers for seamless baseband/IP operation.
- IQUCP – A modular re-programmable compute processing platform for IP interfacing and processing (12G/4K UHD/HDR) that is compatible with SMPTE ST 2110 and 2022-6/7. IQUCP also includes signal monitoring, a multiviewer and a choice of SDI or IP I/O, network processing to provide the interfacing between IP networks, as well as video format conversion, legalization and proc amp control, TPGs and captions, and audio processing. IQUCP is available with a choice of redundant high-bandwidth interfaces—25GbE (SFP28) or 50GbE (QSFP28).
- XIP-3901 Agile IP/SDI Processing Platform – A SMPTE ST 2110-ready, software definable FPGA processing platform, featuring the flexibility of a 12G/3G/HD-SDI up/downconverter, a 3G quad link to/from the 12G SDI Gear Box, frame sync and optional HDR processing.
- Orbit configuration and monitoring – A real-time status reporting solution for either the entire broadcast chain or individual components. Orbit can also uniquely identify content with automatic fault finding using Media Biometrics.
“The foundation of our networking solutions is their reliance on open standards. Grass Valley, along with SAM, have both been members of AIMS from its inception, so our solutions are always ready to easily distribute signals and data in any environment,” says Jean-Marc d’Anjou, vice president of networking, Grass Valley. “In addition to meeting current industry standards, our solutions are ready for the future, including HDR, 4K UHD and IP workflows.