WarnerMedia Steps Into the Esports Space With Upcoming ELEAGUE Mortal Kombat 11 Tournament
The merger between AT&T and TimeWarner has developed a handful of successful ideas, but now, WarnerMedia is picking up the video game controller and gearing up for its first esports initiative. With the help of Turner’s ELEAGUE, the company is collaborating with the esports behemoth to put on an event that will allow fans to prove their Mortal Kombat 11 skills in a unique tournament series. Top-performing gamers will win cash prizes and trips to compete in front of scores of fans at RTX, July 5-7, in Austin, Texas, Rooster Teeth’s annual fan convention and Texas’s largest animation, gaming, and comedy experience.
This multi-faceted initiative – the ELEAGUE x MK 11 Arena at RTX Austin presented by AT&T Fiber – represents the first-of-its-kind deployment of WarnerMedia’s combined assets, platforms, brands and products across the video gaming and esports spaces, and will feature many of its fan-favorite content, event and game publishing brands, and interests including:
- Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment’s recently-released Mortal Kombat 11, the latest game in NetherRealm Studios’ award-winning franchise.
- Live and packaged tournament coverage across the digital, social and television platforms of award-winning esports content and live event brand ELEAGUE.
- Original content from Otter Media’s Rooster Teeth, including Mortal Kombat 11 gameplay videos from Achievement Hunterand Funhaus, promoting the open online tournaments leading up to RTX.
- Tournament organization and administration via the Battlefy platform.
- Presenting sponsorship from AT&T Fiber, bringing gamers fiber fast speeds(1), starting with a 1000Mbps connection, and low lag to run raids or scope out targets with a proven 99% reliable internet connection(2).
Competition Series Format
The road to the ELEAGUE x MK 11 Arena at RTX Austin presented by AT&T Fiber will begin with a series of six open online tournaments, each hosted by a top-ranked professional Mortal Kombat 11 player and run on the Battlefy platform. The winner of each online tournament will earn a cash prize and a trip to RTX. The Grand Final tournament will be held Saturday, July 6, from the Arena, with live coverage available on the ELEAGUETV Twitch channel. ELEAGUE will also create a one-hour packaged show highlighting the best moments from the Grand Final tournament, which will premiere later this Summer on TBS.
Open Tournament Registration
Interested players should register for tournament(s) HERE. Additional details including tournament dates, rules, and other information are all available on the sign-up page.
Additional details surrounding the ELEAGUE x MK 11 Arena at RTX Austin presented by AT&T Fiber will be announced in the coming weeks. Fans can visit the Battlefy website, ELEAGUE.com, and follow @ELEAGUETV for the latest on qualifying players and tournament results.