Overwatch League Develops New Schedules, Tournaments in May
It is almost the midpoint of the 2020 Overwatch League season, and the league has completed May’s schedule with all 20 teams in action, and the introduction of new single-elimination regional tournaments.
During the first three weeks of May, all 20 teams will play qualifier matches (three per team in North America and four in Asia). Team records, map scores, and standard tiebreakers in those qualifier matches will determine team seeding in two regional tournaments in North America (May 22-24) and Asia (May 23-24).
Both tournaments have a combined US $225,000 prize pool with the following tiers:
- Tournament champions — $40,000
- Second place teams — $20,000
- Third and fourth place teams — $5,000
- Each tournament win per team — $5,000 (in addition to placement prizing)
The teams competing in each region for the May qualifying matches and tournaments:
- North America (13): Atlanta Reign, Boston Uprising, Dallas Fuel, Florida Mayhem, Houston Outlaws, Los Angeles Gladiators, Los Angeles Valiant, Paris Eternal, Philadelphia Fusion, San Francisco Shock, Toronto Defiant, Vancouver Titans, and Washington Justice
- Asia (7): Chengdu Hunters, Guangzhou Charge, Hangzhou Spark, London Spitfire, New York Excelsior, Shanghai Dragons, and Seoul Dynasty
Shared tournament rules:
- Hero Pools suspended for all tournament matches—all heroes will be available.
- Matches are first-to-three map wins until the finals, which will be first-to-four maps.
- Higher-seeded teams pick the first map.
- The losing team of each map picks the next map in the series.
- In case of draws, the team that picked the previous map picks again.
Here’s the North America tournament brackets:
Specific rules for the North America tournament:
- Qualification: The 12 vs. 13 seed match does not count for prizing
- Knockouts: The 5-7 seeds get to pick their opponent, with the 5 seed selecting first.
- Quarterfinals: The 1-4 seeds get an automatic bye to this round, and the 1-3 seeds get to pick their opponent from advancing teams, with the 1 seed selecting first.
- Semifinals and Finals: Fixed matchups based on progression through the bracket.
And here’s the Asia tournament bracket:
Specific rules for the Asia tournament:
- All seven teams qualify with no qualification match.
- Quarterfinals: The 2 and 3 seeds get to pick their opponent, with the 2 seed selecting first.
- Semifinals and Finals: Fixed matchups based on progression through the bracket with the 1 seed getting an automatic bye into the semis.
The May qualifier matches count in the overall season standings, but individual tournament matches do not count. However, the top-four finishers in each region’s tournament will earn a fixed number of bonus wins that do count in the standings toward playoffs qualification.
- Tournament champions — 3 wins
- Second-place teams — 2 wins
- Third- and fourth-place teams — 1 win
Matches leading up to the tournaments will feature a wider variety of matchups in North America, with all 13 teams now able to play each other on shared servers. Weekly Hero Pools will remain in effect, as will a predetermined map pool which is set to switch to new maps as we head into Week 14.
Click HERE for the schedules of Week 13-15.