Seen on Screen: NBC Sports Presents Live Events Every Day Through July 31; Courage-Thorns Kick Off NWSL on June 27
Seen on Screen provides a roundup of the current sports programming landscape as networks deal with the impact of the coronavirus pandemic. In this week’s edition, major networks like NBC Sports, Fox Sports, and ESPN are combating the silence of no live sports with previously-released, taped, or archival content. Many networks have also continued producing live studio content – often with on-air talent located remotely.
From tomorrow through July 31, the three networks will combine to present 551.5 live event coverage hours (including pregame and postgame shows) – for an average of 12 live event hours daily over the 46-day stretch.
Following are the sports with the most live event coverage hours across NBC, NBCSN and GOLF Channel from June 16-July 31:
- Golf: 211 hours
- Premier League: 196.5 hours
- Horse Racing: 39 hours
- NASCAR: 26 hours
- Mecum Auto Auctions: 16.5 hours
- Premier Lacrosse League: 16 hours
- INDYCAR: 11 hours
Among the highlights of NBC Sports’ live event coverage through July 31:
- NBC Sports presents the world’s finest horse racing, including the 152nd Belmont Stakes (Sat. June 20) and the Royal Meeting from Ascot, U.K. (June 16-20), followed over the ensuing weeks by Breeders’ Cup Challenge Series races.
- The conclusion of the 2019-20 Premier League season begins this Wednesday on NBCSN, with matches on 35 of 40 days.
- NBC Sports begins coverage of its portion of the 2020 NASCAR season on Fourth of July weekend at iconic Indianapolis Motor Speedway with Cup and Xfinity Series racing on NBC.
- INDYCAR continues its 2020 season on the Fourth of July on NBC with the GMR Grand Prix of Indianapolis at noon ET on NBC to kick off the first-ever INDYCAR/NASCAR doubleheader.
- Golf coverage features the return of the PGA TOUR, LPGA Tour, Korn Ferry TOUR, PGA TOUR Champions and European Tour on GOLF Channel.
- The PGA TOUR season continues this week with the RBC Heritage in Hilton Head. Each week, GOLF Channel will air live PGA TOUR coverage of the first two rounds (Thursday and Friday) and weekend lead-in coverage.
- The world’s top female professional golfers resume play on the LPGA Tour the week of July 20 with the LPGA Marathon Classic on GOLF Channel.
- The star-studded American Century Championship returns from Lake Tahoe, Calif. on July 10-12, featuring Stephen Curry, Aaron Rodgers, and Charles Barkley competing and fund-raising for charity.
- Beginning July 25, NBC Sports presents the PLL Championship Series, as the league’s seven teams compete in group play to determine seeding for the following week’s single-elimination tournament which will crown the 2020 Premier Lacrosse League champion…
…CBS will air the opening match of the 2020 NWSL Challenge Cup presented by P&G and Secret between back-to-back champions North Carolina Courage and Portland Thorns FC on June 27 at 12:30 p.m. ET. The game marks the first-time professional women’s club soccer will be seen live on a national broadcast network in the United States. The CBS broadcast coverage of the opening match will also stream live on CBS All Access, and opening day continues with a matchup between the Orlando Pride and Chicago Red Stars on CBS All Access at 8 p.m. MDT (10 p.m. EST).
All matches through the semifinals will be played at 10:30 a.m. MDT (12:30 p.m. EST) or 8 p.m. MDT (10 p.m. EST). Both the tournament opener and the final will air on CBS and will be streamed on the CBS All Access subscription service. All other games will be live on CBS All Access in the U.S. and Canada and will re-air on CBS Sports Network. Fans outside the U.S. and Canada can stream the full tournament on Twitch. For a full schedule, click HERE.