FUJIFILM Rolls Out Two 8K UHD Broadcast Lenses
FUJIFILM has launched two broadcast zoom lenses, the “FUJINON HP66x15.2-ESM” (HP66x15.2) and the “FUJINON HP12x7.6ERD-S9” (HP12x7.6) both of which will be released in February 2021. The two new lenses use cutting-edge optical technology to capture dynamic 8K video at ultra-high resolution. The HP66×15.2 is a box type zoom lens reaching the world’s longest focal length of 1000mm and offering the world’s highest zoom magnification of 66x. The HP12×7.6 is a portable type zoom lens covering the focal length range from the world’s widest 1 7.6mm to 91mm in telephoto. The HP66x15.2 and HP12x7.6 will complete a seven-model line-up of FUJIFILM’s broadcast lenses to cater to the industry’s need for 8K video production.
Today, the use of high-definition video is accelerating rapidly in a diverse range of video production including live sports / concert coverage and documentary programs. As countries embrace the commercial use of 8K video, which has four times the resolution of 4K video, the market is calling for broadcast lenses equipped with a very high level of optical performance.
Recognizing the arrival of a new broadcasting age, FUJIFILM became the world’s first to release 4K-capable lenses, and has since progressed on to develop 8K-capable lenses. The current lineup of five models is driving the trend toward higher video quality in the broadcasting industry.
The HP66x15.2 and HP12x7.6 are broadcast zoom lenses capable of producing dynamic 8K ultra-high definition video. They can resolve images edge-to-edge in astonishing sharpness to capture even the atmosphere of the scene, as FUJIFILM has applied its high-precision forming technology that can polish the surface of lens elements on the order of nanometers as well as mechanical designing and assembling technologies that accurately place multiple lens groups into a lens barrel. Their vivid colour reproduction and strong contrast result in rich tonal gradation in high dynamic range (HDR). These also feature the new “Remote Back Focus” function, which enables adjusting the back focus remotely, e.g. from a broadcast van, to streamline video shooting.
The HP66×15.2 is a box type zoom lens covering the focal length range from 15.2mm to the world’s longest focal length of 1000mm. With the world’s highest zoom magnification of 66x, the lens is capable of capturing a decisive moment of athletes far away. The HP12x7.6 is a portable zoom lens covering the focal length range from the world’s widest 7.6mm to 91mm, a perfect choice to capture an entire stadium or concert venue.
FUJINON lenses by FUJIFILM are known for advanced descriptive performance, and used in the production of movies, TV commercials, and live sports coverage across the world. FUJIFILM will continue to leverage its cutting-edge optical technology to supply high-performance lenses, addressing the diversifying needs of video production sites.
Main features of the HP66×15.2 and HP12×7.6
- Broadcast zoom lenses producing dynamic ultra-high definition 8K video
- The new lenses can produce dynamic 8K UHD video, tapping into FUJIFILM’s high-precision forming technology that can polish the surface of lens elements on the order of nanometres as well as mechanical designing and assembling technologies that accurately place multiple lens groups into a lens barrel.
- Aspherical and fluorite lens elements control image distortion and light fall-off at image corners as much as possible. In addition, the use of the floating focus system, which controls multiple lens groups according to the shooting distance, minimises fluctuations in optical performance that occur as the shooting distance changes, thus maintaining sharpness across all shooting distances from close-up to infinity.
- FUJIFILM’s proprietary “HT-EBC (High Transmittance Electron Beam Coating)” multi-layer coating technology is applied to lens surfaces to enhance light transmittance for vivid colour reproduction and high contrast. This results in rich tonal gradation in HDR.
- The HP66×15.2 is a box type lens covering focal lengths from 15.2mm to the world’s longest 1000mm in telephoto. It offers the world’s highest zoom magnification of 66x, capable of capturing a decisive moment of athletes far away and even the facial expression and gestures of an artist on stage during live performance. The HP12×7.6 is a portable type lens with focal lengths ranging from the world’s widest 7.6mm to 91mm, delivering an exceptionally wide angle of view to capture an entire stadium or live concert venue.
- Newly equipped with the Remote Back Focus function for easy 8K video production
- The lenses are newly equipped with the Remote Back Focus function, which enables adjusting the back focus remotely, e.g. from a broadcast van, to streamline video shooting.
- The lenses can be combined with the focus position demand unit “FUJINON EPD-51A-D02/F03” (optional), which facilitates focus adjustments at hand, to achieve precise focusing. The combination makes it easy to shoot 8K video, which demands an advanced level of focusing precision.
- The lenses feature the high-performance optical image stabilisation mechanism, a popular feature of FUJIFILM’s high-magnification zooms. It accurately corrects image blurs caused by wind or shaking of the footing without any time lag, providing added stability in video shooting.
- Natural bokeh achieved with nine-blade diaphragm
- The use of 9-blade diaphragm achieves an aperture shape closer to a perfect circle, allowing users to incorporate natural bokeh into their video expressions.
- Stock-standard 16-bit encoder
- The lenses come stock-standard with a 16-bit encoder, enabling high resolution output of lens data including zoom and focus positions. It enables connection with various systems such as a virtual studio for combining computer graphics with live video footage.