YES Network’s Filippelli Among Honorees at NYU Sports Business Society Awards
The Preston Robert Tisch Center for Hospitality, Tourism, and Sports Management of the New York University School of Continuing and Professional Studies (NYU-SCPS Tisch Center) has named YES Network President of Production and Programming John J. Filippelli as its Executive of the Year. Filippelli and several others were honored at the Sixth Annual NYU Sports Business Society Awards to on April 15 at the NYU Helen & Martin Kimmel Center for University Life.
In addition to Filipelli, this year’s recipients included:
- Mark Weinstein, account executive for SportsNet New York/New York Mets and NYU-SCPS Tisch Center Class of 2008 (Alumnus of the Year);
- Christopher Russo, president of CR Media Ventures (Graduate Sports Business Society Media Award);
- Michael Weiner, executive director of the Major League Baseball Players Association (Lalia Rach Profile in Excellence);
- Shannon Forde, director of media relations for the New York Mets (Lauren Beam Philanthropy Award); and
- Major League Baseball Advanced Media and the New York Road Runners (Ambassadors of the Year).
“We have extra special recipients this year,” says Tisch Center Divisional Dean Bjorn Hanson. “All have made valuable contributions to sports organizations and their communities, and have supported the personal and professional development of colleagues and staff.”
“I am very proud of the students every year for their commitment to the only student-run awards ceremony dedicated to honoring sports business leaders and pioneers,” says Wayne G. McDonnell, clinical associate professor of sports management at the Tisch Center. “We are also proud of Mark Weinstein, who has been singled out by his fellow alumni for his achievements.”
The SBS Awards are sponsored by New York University’s Sports Business Society (SBS) and Graduate Sports Business Society (GSBS), student organizations within the NYU-SCPS Preston Robert Tisch Center for Hospitality, Tourism, and Sports Management. SBS and GSBS are designed to create educational, social, philanthropic, and professional opportunities for students. The clubs have hosted a semiannual internship and career fair featuring top sports organizations, mentored students, and developed a series of sports lectures and panel discussions with leading industry professionals.