Level 3 Opens New Data Center in North America
Level 3 Communications, Inc. has expanded its global data center network with the opening of its newest facility, located at 524 Van Buren Street in Herndon, Virginia. The new facility achieves Level 3’s highest rating as a Premier Elite data center by offering fully redundant, high-density power and cooling systems, multi-tier security and direct connectivity to the global Level 3 network.
These features provide enterprise and government customers with the necessary capabilities to manage rapid data growth and ensure business continuity – key elements to deliver today’s mission-critical business applications in a secure and efficient operating environment.
Level 3 operates more than 350 data centers worldwide, comprised of Premier Elite, Premier Select and Premier facilities. Premier Elite data centers deliver the highest level of service, designed to meet the most stringent operating requirements and connectivity demands of business customers around the world. The Northern Virginia data center is one of three Premier Elite facilities in North America. Additional Premier Elite facilities are located at 200 Paul Avenue in San Francisco and 6805 Pine Street in Omaha. Level 3 operates another 17 Premier Elite data centers throughout Europe and Latin America.
Level 3’s global data center footprint offers a streamlined solution with direct connectivity to its high-availability global fiber network, metro market reach and comprehensive services portfolio to provide customers data networking performance across North America, Europe and Latin America. From these locations, customers also have access to the Level 3 Cloud Connect Solutions ecosystem with secure, private connections to public, private and hybrid cloud platforms, including Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure.
“The Northern Virginia market is one of the top three data center markets in the world according to Ovum’s global data center tracking information,” states Mike Sapien, principal analyst from Ovum Global Enterprise Services. “Enterprise customers are seeing improved economics in using outside data centers, as well as avoidance of the capital to upgrade their aging private data centers. The use of external third-party data centers are necessary to address expanding their global coverage, increased use of cloud services, and improving application performance.”
“Cloud-based services and mobile applications are increasingly critical to an organization’s ability to focus on core initiatives while driving efficiency and growth. Successful use of these new technologies requires a thoughtful network strategy with direct access to networked data center facilities as a core component,” said Paul Savill, senior vice president of Core Product Management for Level 3. “Level 3’s Premier Elite data center facilities offer an ideal off-site space to house power-intensive applications, support business continuity, and grow an organization’s global IT footprint with minimal capital investment and reduced operating costs.”
Additional benefits offered by the Level 3 Premier Elite data center include:
- Global Connectivity – Direct connectivity to the global Level 3 network spanning 500 markets in 60 countries
- Carrier Neutrality – Carrier neutral facility that provides access to multiple global network operators, enabling customers to more effectively manage communications and data management between worldwide partners and locations.
- Cloud Services – Access to Level 3 Cloud Connect Solutions offers private network access to leading cloud services to deliver critical enterprise applications and information with greater performance, security and flexibility than the public Internet or other networks.
- On-site Security – 24 x 7 alarm monitoring and dual-mode secured access systems to address security and compliance requirements.
- Managed Technical Support – Skilled on-site technicians continuously maintain data systems and safeguard access to global carriers and critical cloud-based applications, ensuring efficient response times and adherence to service level agreements.
To learn more about Level 3’s data center solutions, visit http://www.level3.com/en/products-and-services/cloud-and-it/data-center-services/data-center-management/.