Ericsson Looks to Unify Broadcast, IP to Drive Multi-Screen TV Experiences
Ericsson will be hosting demonstrations at IP&TV World Forum 2012 on March 20-22. As the market adapts to meet the challenges of increasing consumer desire for multi-screen television; Ericsson believes multi-platform delivery is the essential route to uniting different delivery networks, back-office systems and consumer devices.
“Traditional IPTV has evolved into multi-screen TV, but it’s important to understand that to be successful new multi-screen services will need to go much further than just content on the move or on multiple devices. The whole experience must be one that consumers embrace and integrate into their social and personal lifestyles. Our focus is on helping any operator to combine broadcast networks with the power of IP to provide richer and more convenient ways for viewers to consume, share, and discover content on more devices – driving greater usage and revenue opportunities,” said Staffan Pehrson, VP and Head of TV, Ericsson.
Visitors to Ericsson’s stand (117) will be able to see how the company is enabling all operators and content owners to harness greater efficiencies, launch new differentiating services and grow revenues. Key demonstrations will include:
- Ericsson Multiscreen TV Solution which enables the richest, blended consumer experiences on all devices, with linear TV, on-demand, social interaction, search and advanced interactions between multiple devices. The solution includes multi-award winning software products such as Ericsson’s Multi-screen Middleware, Multi-screen SDK & Portal, and Ericsson Media Connectcompanion device.
- The UK debut of the most powerful and flexible solution for the growing multi-screen market, Ericsson Multi-platform Stream Processor family. The solution combines hardware and software to enable the massive expansion in processing needed to deliver a multi-screen offering. It offers unmatched levels of density, scalability and cost effectiveness, changing the landscape for linear multi-screen TV processing.
- As the amount of video being delivered across networks grows, Ericsson’s Media Delivery Networksolutions enable operators to accelerate the consumer experience, reduce the traffic burden and derive new revenues from moving into new value chains.
- Consumer demand is ultimately about convenience, and this means on-demand content on every device. Ericsson’s Media Delivery Management System, a new generation of on-demand back office platform, meets the almost infinite scalability needs of delivering more on-demand content to more new devices.
- The WatchPoint® Content Management System (CMS) v2.0 provides centralized management of any metadata format, any content type, and any workflow process, and enables unprecedented visibility throughout the content lifecycle. Complexity in processing is set to explode with multi-screen, requiring a highly automated and business-process oriented solution for content owners and operators.
Staffan Pehrson continues: ”Our TV solutions are based on a foundation of strong consumer insight and deep expertise in video and networks. They have been built to enable operators to respond to the unprecedented challenges that the paradigm shift in consumer expectations of multi-screen TV will bring.”
Ericsson’s record breaking deal with Chunghwa Telecom, Taiwan’s largest telecom operator, is a perfect example of how operators are choosing Ericsson as their partner to integrate and deploy new multi-screen TV services that replace existing IPTV systems. This means that operators can quickly respond to the latest demands of consumers, and overcome the inherent limitations of their previous systems. With the Chunghwa Telecom deal Ericsson will reach 5 million subscribers with its multi-screen TV solutions.
Ericsson has been shortlisted for four IP&TV Industry Awards at IP&TV World Forum, making it the solutions vendor with the most nominations in the whole awards program.
- Best Multi-screen TV solution – Ericsson Multiscreen TV solution
- Best Rights and Asset Management for TV – Ericsson WatchPoint Content Management System, v2.0
- Best Service Delivery Platform for IPTV – Ericsson Media Delivery Management System
- Best Component or Enabler – Ericsson SPR1200 multi-screen stream processor and Ericsson NPR1200 multi-screen network processor