Mediapro Supplies OneSoccer With Broadcast Infrastructure of CPL “The Island Games” Tournament
The Canadian Premier League is returning to play, and OneSoccer will be bringing full coverage of the 2020 season, broadcasting every game of “The Island Games” and giving Canadian soccer fans exclusive content from inside the tournament bubble in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island.
OneSoccer – the home of Canadian soccer – will be broadcasting every single match and providing Canadian soccer fans with unparalleled access to the Charlottetown bubble, including cameras embedded within team training camps. Our Canadian soccer expert Oliver Platt will be reporting from inside the bubble, and OneSoccer will also debut its new, soccer-specific studio sets, programs, and an expanded team of Canadian soccer experts who are set to provide unprecedented coverage of Canada’s top tier.
“We’re pleased to add a distinguished list of on-air personalities to an already impressive group that did a tremendous job bringing Canadian fans first-class coverage of their top-tier league, domestic cup and national teams in 2019,” said OneSoccer General Manager Victor Rodriguez. “Our mandate to continue expanding the Canadian game through our coverage is backed up by significant investment in our fresh, soccer-specific sets in time for The Island Games and Concacaf World Cup qualifying.”
OneSoccer is also proud to present Bringing It Home, a four-part documentary looking back on the CPL’s inaugural season. Produced by Mediapro Group, Episode 1 of Bringing It Home debuts exclusively on OneSoccer on Monday, Aug. 10 at 9 p.m. ET.
“We made our intentions very clear from the start, promising to deliver world-class programming to Canadian soccer fans,” said Mediapro Canada CEO Oscar López. “Bringing It Home demonstrates the passion that has helped Mediapro become a global leader in production. We hope Canadian Premier League fans enjoy seeing the league in a way they’ve never seen it.”
Here’s what you can expect from our 2020 Island Games show lineup:
- Bringing It Home – The CPL like you’ve never seen it, Bringing It Home takes you inside the locker room and players’ homes during the league’s historic first season.
- Inside The Bubble – A dynamic Canadian soccer magazine show to kick off every broadcast, Asa Rehman and Adam Jenkins tell you what you missed and set up CPL Matchday with game highlights, sound from coaches, opinion from OneSoccer personalities, and from you, the fans!
- OneNation – Hosted by renowned Canadian soccer host James Sharman, OneNation puts the CPL side-by-side with the biggest leagues in the world. After they’re done talking about the biggest football stories from around the globe, the OneNation panel – featuring Canadian soccer legend Craig Forrest, and former Toronto FC standouts Rohan Ricketts and Terry Dunfield – turn their attention to the Canadian Premier League, the perfect lead in to our Matchday Live!
- Matchday Live – Andi Petrillo takes viewers through pre-game, half-time, and post-game alongside former Canadian internationals Carmelina Moscato and Dunfield, and veteran Canadian soccer reporter Laura Armstrong. Lead play-by-play commentator Gareth Wheeler will take viewers through the action alongside Jenkins and Brendan Dunlop.
- CPL Coast-to-Coast – Post-game CPL coverage with a late-night feel. Stick around after every Matchday as Josh Kloke and Canadian soccer pundit Kurt Larson reflect on the day that was in Canadian Premier League action.
The Canadian Premier League’s single-site tournament, “The Island Games,” will be played in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. The CPL’s eight clubs will compete in a three-round tournament to crown the 2020 Canadian Premier League Champions. In the initial round-robin phase, each team will play each other once (28 games). The top four clubs after this initial round will advance to a second round where they will face off again (six games) to determine two top teams, who will then round out the 2020 season and compete in a single match final for the North Star Shield.